Thursday, June 18, 2015

Kindness of a stranger...

It was a hot sunny day as a huge crowd gathered on the Thane railway station, eagerly awaiting the CST bound local train. Having been used to commuting at such peak hours I was mentally prepared for the mad hour rush that day 8 o'clock in the morning. I had to reach Dadar, to college, my presentation was due in an hour. When the train arrived I somehow managed to make my way in, squishing and getting squished by a mob of women! Finally I got a place to stand comfortably. No sooner than 5 minutes, our 1st class ladies compartment became awfully crowded. I guess a little more than usual. Being accustomed to all this, I ignored and started reading my novel.

A little while later unable to move my hands or legs, I began feeling uncomfortable. I was sandwiched between two women! Within a matter of few minutes everything started becoming hazy.  I looked around, badly wanting a place to sit. I felt dizzy and very weak. My head started aching and I found myself panting for breath. I drank some water and closed my eyes for a few minutes. After which I remember none! I collapsed on the floor.  I vaguely remember someone splashing water on my face and shaking me to get up. There was this aunty who had been kind enough to give up her seat in the train. She washed my face with a handkerchief, gave me a chocolate to eat and also offered some food which I gracefully accepted. Thanking her immensely for her help.

She advised me to go home and take rest. I knew I couldn’t do that. I had an important presentation to give.  Fortunately she also was getting down at the same station. She insisted on dropping me safely to college in a cab.


Though I often board the same train, I never met that kind generous soul ever again. It was as though she had been there on that particular day to help me! It was because of her I made it to college safely that day and felt fine enough to give the presentation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment