Sunday, August 30, 2015

DISCONNECTED FROM THE WORLD…

Lying on the banks of river Narayani, with the soft warm summer breeze in my hair, a sense of calm and tranquility filled me and a smile appeared on my face as I reminisced the last few days. Having come from Mumbai merely for 5 days on vacations, the trip to Chitwan national park in South Central Nepal was not something I was prepared for. Right from the boat ride across the river infested with crocodiles to the bath with the elephants, the trip had been an adventure I had experienced never before!

Chitwan Jungle Lodge- Nepal
Nestled in the Inner Terai Valleys of The Himalayas, right amidst the jungles, Chitwan Jungle lodge is a very beautiful place with small cottages enface river Narayani. After an appetizing lunch, we were shown to our cottages. There was just one problem, there was no TV!! After a while of cribbing and complaining on my side, we were called out in the evening to gather around and get to know the other tourists. My brother and I, the tech-addicted youngsters that we are, were busy trying to find cell phone range. Not able to find any, we reluctantly joined the others outside. To my surprise, the lodge had arranged a special tribal dance for the guests. I found myself enjoying the company and dancing with the Tharu tribes. It was almost 7 pm, when the lights went out! “Wow, Just like Mumbai”, murmuring under my breath. We then heard one of the staff telling us how normal it is for the power to go off around this time and how now we would have to make use of kerosene lamps all night. I looked at my mother and smirked.

The next morning we woke up at 5 am for the Jungle Safari. We hiked through the fog laden jungle and were delighted to see some rhinos, deer, birds etc. We spent almost the entire day in the jungle. Trekking, picnicking, and later bathing with the elephants!


After spending one day in the jungle, with no electricity and cell phone range, I began to truly enjoy the vacation. We were completely shut off from the rest of the world and it felt really good! I became acquainted with a couple from Australia, played cards, scrabble with a few other guests. In a way, it brought my family closer as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment